72: Tim Pollard: Mastering the Moment+ Follow
When it’s your big moment to speak to an audience, will you be ready?
In this episode of the Manage Your Message Podcast host Jim Karrh welcomes back Tim Pollard, CEO of Oratium and author of a new book Mastering the Moment: Perfecting the Skills and Processes of Exceptional Presentation Delivery.
Tim had a long career in Sales and Marketing for companies such as Unilever, Barclays Bank, and the Corporate Executive Board. As he has continued to develop his expertise in executive communications, sales messaging, and donor messaging, Tim has become a popular keynote speaker and a regular columnist for Forbes and Entrepreneur.
When we first spoke to Tim in episode 14, he shared insights on the fundamentals of presentation design (from his book The Compelling Communicator: Mastering the Art and Science of Exceptional Presentation Design). This conversation focuses on ways to make the most of your opportunities in the moment to influence others through presentation.
Among the topics that Jim and Tim discuss:
- Why most people are uneasy about speaking to an audience (whether that be in business or, as Jim related, “Delivering a speech to semi-drunk people at a wedding reception”)
- How the disciplines of message design and message delivery must fundamentally work together
- The most common bad habits that undermine our effectiveness
- Basic elements of the physical environment to consider and control
- What “muscular language” means and how to use it
- The mechanics involved with maintaining your energy, using humor, assessing the audience, and building trustworthiness
Check out Tim’s business Oratium, as well as his books:
Listen to Tim’s first visit to the Manage Your Message Podcast, when he spoke about message design:
Learn more about Jim Karrh’s speaking topics and testimonials:
Check out a sample of Jim’s new book, The Science of Customer Connections: Manage Your Message to Grow Your Business:
Follow Jim on Twitter:
Connect with Jim on LinkedIn:
Sign up for the Message Manager Memo weekly email https://jimkarrh.com/
or email email@example.com